|Professional | Personal | Pedantry | Programme | Parish | Photos | Points and Pistons | Positronics | Programming | Pollution | Places|
Including file "intro.xml"
The F class were the mainstay of the Adelaide suburban steam services from 1902 until the mid 50s. They were affectionally known as `Dollys', and could accelerate their short passenger trains away from stations sufficiently quickly that they remained in service until displaced by diesel rail cars.
entered service: 1902 last condemmed: 1969 cylinders: 2:17.5x24 in boiler pressure: 185 psi tractive effort: 18335 lbs weight: 59 tons 0 cwt water: 1200 gals coal: 2.25 tons
These diminutive locos were used on Adelaide suburban services, particularly the Glenelg line. They were displaced by the F class, but remained in service until the mid 50s, generally serving out their days as shunters.
entered service: 1884 last condemmed: 1956 cylinders: 2:16x20 in boiler pressure: 145 psi tractive effort: 10517 lbs weight: 33 tons 14 cwt water: 600 gals coal: 30 cwt
Including file "Rxclass/intro.xml"
V9 was known as "The Rat" at Peterborough where it was used for shunting the roundhouse. When it was condemned, the Mayor of Naracoorte asked that it be preserved for display in the local park.
10 of these locomotives were built by Societe Franco-Belge de Materiel des Chemins-de-fer, under licence from Beyer Peacock, Manchester. They were used on the 3]6" gauge lines of South Australia, notably the Peterborough division, where they hauled zinc concentrate from Broken Hill to the smelters at Port Pirie.
Although this class has a 4-8-4 wheel arrangement, they were always known as "Mountain Types" in South Australia, as they were 4-8-2 when originally built, and the name has stuck. They were all rebuilt as 4-8-4 by the addition of a trailing booster 4-wheel truck. They saw service mainly on heavy freights over the Adelaide Hills, although they were also used on many passenger services, particularly specials such as the Oakbank Picnic Race trains.
Including file "520class/intro.xml"
Including file "620class/intro.xml"
Built by Armstrong Whitworth, in the UK, all 10 of the 700 class entered service during 1926, and the last example was condemmed by the end of 1967. These Mikados formed the basis for subsequent heavy goods locomotives of the SAR.
Including file "wolseley-intro.xml"
|This page maintained by
Copyright Monash University Acceptable Use Policy
42 accesses since 04 Sep 2014, HTML cache rendered at 20140923:1745